Journalism students entering their final year of media/communications studies who are keen to get industry experience at a mainstream media outlet over the summer break.
Media Diversity Australia is calling for expressions of interest from journalism students entering their final year of media/communications studies OR those who have graduated from those studies in 2022 and are keen to get industry experience at a mainstream media outlet over the summer break.
- The project aims to place 12 final-year students or recent graduates in 12 different mainstream media outlets nationwide.
- The Fellowship recipients will receive a weekly stipend to cover living expenses for the Fellowship duration.
- The five-week Fellowship will take place on a full-time basis.
- General Fellowships commence on Monday 16 January and conclude on Friday 17 February.
- Press Gallery (ACT) Fellowships commence mid-February and conclude mid-March.
- The Fellowship recipients will be mentored and supported by an MDA Mentor.
- Fellowships will take place at one outlet for the duration of the placement.
- Participating media organisations where Fellowship recipients will be placed include Channel 9, AAP, Southern Cross Austereo Radio, Network 10, The Guardian, the Australian Financial Review and Fairfax Media.
HOW TO APPLY
- Applicants must be final-year communications/media students (entering the final year of study in 2022) and covered by their tertiary institution’s insurance for internships, OR a 2022 graduate.
- Applicants will come from a culturally or linguistically diverse background or are interested in growing cultural and linguistic diversity in Australia’s newsrooms.
- You must address all of the following to be considered for an internship:
In 500 words or less, please tell us a bit about you, any media industry experience you’ve had, what mediums you are most interested in working with, what stories are of interest to you, and why you should be an MDA Summer Fellow.
- Please also attach a CV and one written reference.
- Please attach any examples of published journalism, even if this is through your university’s newsroom.
- Applications open on Friday, October 14 at 9 am AEST and close at 5 pm AEST on Friday 11 November. Successful candidates will be announced in early December after an interview process.
If this sounds like you, please apply now.
Applicants can apply by clicking here (Entries Closed).
*Please note these internships are dependent on the COVID-19 situation and NSW Health requirements.*