Three fellowships worth $15,000 each, that will take place during the federal election and will be Canberra-based for Australians under the age of 30, who are passionate about media, politics and diversity.
The project aims to place 12 journalism students at different mainstream media outlets.
Fellowships are available in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Canberra, and Adelaide.
Media Diversity Australia is calling for expressions of interest from young Australians under the age of 30, who are passionate about media, politics, and diversity.
With the support of Google News Initiative, we have three fellowships worth $15 000 each, that will take place during the federal election and will be Canberra-based.
- -The purpose of the project is to place three young Australians in leading political bureaus, including time spent in Canberra’s Press Gallery, during the 2022 Federal Election.
- The fellowship project will help address an obvious gap in the media: culturally diverse perspectives in the coverage of Australian federal politics. The fellowships will be a rare opportunity to work in the Press Gallery, which is often an accelerant for a young journalist’s career.
- The six to eight-week fellowship will take place in the weeks leading up to the federal election.
- The fellowship recipients will receive a weekly stipend of $772.60 to cover living expenses, plus a travel and accommodation allowance (where applicable for successful applicants who are not Canberra-based).
- Fellowships will commence in early 2022 and the exact dates will be confirmed once the election is called.
- Fellowships will take place at one major media outlet within the Press Gallery for the duration of the placement.
- The fellowship recipients will be mentored and supported by an MDA project manager.
- Training by Google News Initiative is also part of the fellowship.
WHO CAN APPLY
- Applicants need to be under the age of 30 and able to demonstrate a keen interest in, and understanding of media, politics and diversity.
- Applicants will come from a First Nations, culturally or linguistically diverse background, live with a disability or have an interest in growing diversity in Australia’s newsrooms.
- Applicants do not need to have a tertiary qualification.
- Applicants will need to have full working rights in Australia.
HOW TO APPLY
- You must address all of the following to be considered for a fellowship: In 500 words or less, please tell us a bit about you, any media or politics experience you’ve had, why covering a federal election is beneficial for your career and why you should be chosen for a political fellowship.
- Please also attach a CV and one written reference.
- Please attach any examples of published journalism.
- Applications open on Monday, 1 November 1 at 9 am AEST and close at 5 pm AEST on Friday, 26th November. Successful candidates will be announced in mid-December after an interview process.
Applicants can apply by clicking here (Entries Closed).
*Please note these fellowships are dependent on the COVID-19 situation and state and tertiary government health requirements.*