Media Diversity Australia is calling for expressions of interest from journalism students entering their final year of media/communications studies who are keen to get industry experience at a mainstream media outlet over the summer break.
- The purpose of the project is to place 10 journalism students from five tertiary institutions at 10 different mainstream media outlets.
- Internships are available in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide.
- The internship recipients will receive a weekly stipend to cover living expenses for the duration of the internship.
- The six-week internship will take place during the summer university break in January/February 2021, on a full-time basis.
- Internships commence on Monday 10 January and conclude on Friday 25 February.
- The internship recipients will be mentored and supported by an MDA project manager.
- Internships will take place at one outlet for the duration of the placement.
- Participating media organisations where internship recipients will be placed include New York Times, West Australian, ABC, Southern Cross Austereo Radio, Network 10, Seven Network, MamaMia, and Nine Entertainment Co.
HOW TO APPLY
- Applicants need to be final-year communications/media students (entering the final year of study in 2022) and covered by their tertiary institution’s insurance for internships.
- Applicants will come from a First Nations or culturally or linguistically diverse background or have an interest in growing First Nations and cultural and linguistic diversity in Australia’s newsrooms.
- You must address all of the following to be considered for an internship:
In 500 words or less, please tell us a bit about you, any media industry experience you’ve had, what mediums you are most interested in working with, what stories are of interest to you and why you should be an MDA summer intern.
- Please also attach a CV and one written reference.
- Please attach any examples of published journalism, even if this is through your university’s newsroom.
- Applications open on Monday, September 6 at 9 am AEST and close at 5 pm AEST on Thursday, 14 October. Successful candidates will be announced in late November after an interview process.
Communications/media students can apply by clicking here.
*Please note these internships are dependent on the COVID-19 situation and NSW Health requirements.*